About Sparkle Sheffield
Started by parents of autistic children, Sparkle Sheffield exists to help families with autistic children meet the challenges they face, feel less isolated, less frightened and more empowered. Autism affects families in different ways but only the parent of an autistic child can truly understand what life is like for us.
Sparkle Sheffield offers:
- Peer and mentor support giving parents opportunity and time to talk things through.
- Hand holding mentors to accompany parents to appointments and meetings.
- Individual information and advice sessions.
- Guest speakers helping to address problem areas such as communication, potty training, puberty.
- Autism friendly activities that all family members can attend.
Started as a community group in September 2014, Sparkle has 122 members, no paid staff, 15 volunteers and 3 Trustees. We are currently reorganising as a Charity. Every member is an expert in living with a child with autism and have experience of the level of support and help they receive from special needs support, from education and health agencies. Sparkle Sheffield gives them the opportunity to use their hard earned experience and knowledge to support other autistic children and their families and hopefully benefit from others families’ experiences.
We access highly qualified and experienced autism specialists to provide information for parents about the condition and how they can best support their children. We have people with experience running a community organisation, fundraising experience, parents have financial experience running their own business and in roles within education and health.
Click on an event for more information and to book your place today!